Monday, March 16, 2009

Musical Monday~Long Distance Dedication

Does anyone remember Casey Kasem and his American Top 40 countdown?


I would spend countless Sunday afternoons listening to the countdown, pen and notebook in hand, writing down the songs in the order they were played, all the way to number one. What I wouldn't give to still have that notebook today!

I would even attempt to record some of my favorite songs on my tape recorder, all the while shushing anyone from making any noise, because it was just a stand alone recorder, not the kind that we got later that had the built in radio. Those were the days!
One of my favorite parts of his radio show was his Long Distance Dedications. Readers would send in letters telling about a long lost friend or the one who got away and then Casey would play the song they had chosen to dedicate to said person. I loved the way he'd say (Insert name here) Here's your long distance dedication..... He had such a unique voice.
In the last few weeks or so, Mr. Sweetie has been singing this one certain song to me when he calls me during the day from work. I always have to laugh, and it's really sweet. He told me just the other day that this is my song to you. How I have always wanted someone to dedicate a song to me that said or meant everything they wanted to communicate to me!
This is that song, and I would like to take this time to send this song out on Musical Monday to my sweetie. All of the words say just how he feels about me and I could not agree more.
Back atcha' babe, here is your long distance dedication......
















Musical Monday

Join Diane and Jori for more Musical Monday posts!

16 comments:

April said...

I used to LOVE Casey Kasem as a teenager! I would sit up all night long on Saturdays and listen to the countdown of the Top 40 songs. The "Long-Distance Dedications" were always my favorite...I'm a hopeless romantic! Great song by Rod Stewart and I love the fact that your hubby sings it to you! Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet. I loved the top 40 countdown with Casey Kasem.

I love the new blog design by the way.

Anonymous said...

I remember when it seemed like life or death.... which song had moved up and who was in the top five!

What a sweet dedication!

Jen said...

I actually wrote a long-distance dedication letter to Kasey. I never sent it though. It was about a boy I met one summer on a cruise. He was from SC and I'm from MD. I was heartbroken and thought I'd never get over it. Yeah, that lasted a few months and I met some other guy and totally got over it.

LOVE that song! We actually danced to it at our wedding for our last dance.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ahhhhhh! I love all your sweet, romantic goodness!!!!! He sounds like a total keeper and I'm so happy for you!

Aim said...

I not only listened to the countdown, but I recorded songs on my tape recorder and then, when I was about 13, I used to play radio station. That was my favorite. I might even still have a couple of those tapes! How sweet that Mr. Sweetie sings to you. Awwww.

I have a couple of awards for you at my blog. stop on by and pick them up.

jori-o said...

He DID have such a great voice---and I always loved that he was the voice of Shaggy on ScoobyDoo too! What a sweet song to have between you and your Sweetie! Sounds like you got a Keeper! =)

jmt said...

Love the Countdown. :) And yes...the long distance dedication was my favorite part too. Such a sweet song for him to sing to you, too. I'm "aaaahhhh'ing" right now at my desk.

Mimi said...

So sweet! I used to tape the countdown too. It was very serious business & very stomach churning, as I would try to stop tape for commercials.

Susie said...

What a sweet dedication. That's awesome! Casey would be proud:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember kasey! And the long-distance dedication! Is he still on the radio?
Nice choice for your dedication! :)
Happy MM!

Anonymous said...

Wow, did you bring me down memory lane! I thought I was the only one taping songs from the radio...lol my brother was usually screaming something profane in the background, thus tainting my song recording. I loved the top 40!!!

Deb said...

that is a really sweet song. i don't know if i have ever sat and just listened to the words. nice.

Amy said...

Oh how I loved listening to Casey Kasem. I was not allowed to go to a show until I was 18 and I went to Rod Stewart. I loved it when he sang that song.

nikkicrumpet said...

I listened to him all the time...and taped the music as they played it. I love this version of the song...and what a sweet dedication.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh girl I so miss those days, I use to do the same every weekend! What an amazing trip down memory lane. Oh dedication, yup use to daydream about one of those ... LOL